Sweet Potato, Quinoa & Black Bean Veggie Burgers
I have really thought long and hard about what to call these burgers, but nothing catchy is coming to mind at the moment, so lets just go with sweet potato, quinoa, black bean veggie burgers....great. Nonetheless, they are one of my staple recipes, and are so versatile. They are pretty hard to mess up, so they are a beginner cooks dream! Basically, all you need for these are some type of grain, and beans to bind them together. The flavors can be tweaked through the spices and herbs you include. Here is my go-to combination. They also freeze well, so I like to make a big batch! I enjoy serving mine on their own alongside a salad, but they would be delicious in a whole wheat bun!
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (it doubles once cooked)
- 1-2 sweet potatoes (2 if they are smaller)
- 1 can of organic black beans
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/4 c bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 large egg (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cook the quinoa and sweet potato (I usually just microwave my potatoes), and add to a large mixing bowl.
- With the back of a fork, mash the sweet potato and quinoa together. You are welcome to use a food processor, but I find mashing them together with the back of a fork works just as well.
- Rinse and drain the black beans, and add them to the bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mash the beans and seasoning lightly until everything is incorporated.
- Form the mixture into "patties" and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. The size is dependent upon your preference. I make mine a little smaller so we can have two!
- Place the burgers in the oven for 15 minutes, flipping halfway.